1. I showed up to my mani-pedi appointment only to have Brandy give me “the look”. From the raised arch of her perfectly waxed brow, I knew I was not on her appointment calendar. Dang. I had rushed on the treadmill, rushed to shower and get into town – only to learn I was 24 hours early for my spa treatment. I hate it when that happens.
2. This meant I had one hour of free time and, since I was already in town… I went to the mall. Let me rephrase that sentence… I went to the mall in December. The RV needs liquid hand soap and I tend to prefer the stuff from Williams-Sonoma. Williams-Sonoma was a zoo. It’s Christmas, Virginia Terry! Forget everything you have heard about a recession. Unemployment. Cutting back. I had to wait in line to buy a bottle of over-priced dishsoap! (Why don’t I just use Dawn already?) It was difficult to find a place to park at the mall! Williams-Sonoma is next to The Duck Shop. The Duck Shop (U of O fan store) was too crowded to even enter! NOTE TO SELF: In December, always order on-line and have items delivered to the house.
3. The Beavers are sporting “GIANT KILLER” tee shirts this week in Corvallis. I hope these shirts will be used to wipe the smirks from their faces after the Ducks win the Civil War Saturday. Just in case you have not read this blog for a while… Saturday the Ducks face the Beavers in Corvallis in the Civil War. It’s kinda a Big Deal. ESPN Game Day is broadcasting from Corvallis. The game will be shown live, nationwide, on ESPN at 12:30p PST. If we win, the Ducks will play in the BCS Championship game 10 January in Glendale, Arizona. If we lose, the Ducks will play in the Rose Bowl, 1 January in Pasadena, California. Either way, we’re goin’ bowling! GO DUCKS!
4. As previously stated, My Driver and I have opted to not attend the game in Corvallis. We will watch the game at home. 52-inch HDTV. Roaring fire. Beef chili. No porta-potties.
5. DT gave me a make-up mirror for Hanukkah. (I asked him to give me a make-up mirror for Hanukkah.) Take it from me – do not look at yourself in a magnified, lighted make-up mirror. EVER. Even Angelina Jolie should not look at herself 5x magnified… so you can only imagine the screams of horror sounding from our master bathroom last night. Be careful out there.
6. Tonight, I prepared Spice-Crusted Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Yogurt Sauce from the November 2010 Bon Appetit magazine. It was amazing. My grocer had sockeye salmon this week and it was simply perfect. I ground the spices in my mortar and pestle (instead of pounding the seeds in a plastic bag with a mallet as suggested in the recipe) and served the salmon with saffron jasmine rice and tossed greens. This meal was served at 8p when DT returned to me from yet another day in Eugene in meetings for the 2012 Olympic Trials that he is not helping with.
7. I have yet to play dreidel this year. But I am now well-stocked with chocolate gelt, so may challenge my niece, Carla, tomorrow night when she comes for Shabbat/Hanukkah. Game on!
8. CIVIL WAR HANUKKAH!
Until my next update, I remain, your day-advanced correspondent.